Monday, January 10, 2011

Threads: Mung Bean. Style: Chinese. Taste: Mmmmmm.


So tonight's quick dish was based on a Chinesey noodle craving. And of course it was quick, I never can plan ahead. Then when my stomach kicks in (literally) I scramble around in the kitchen and eat whatever quick unhealthy things are lying around in wait. Well today I resolved NOT to get sucked into "fat hole" and feed my cravings. Something with salty soy was beckoning me, something with crispy bells and nutty sesame seeds, and toothy cabbage and noodles. A really quick meal even though I didn't have everything I wanted for it, and it was still good! So here you are.

1 TS olive oil
a few grates of ginger
4 cloves of garlic, minced
Heat the oil, until hot. Then add the garlic and ginger, be sure to keep moving it around a bit. About 2 minutes on medium heat is fine.
1/2 cup finely chopped broccoli head
Stir around on high heat a min or two.

1/2 cup grated cabbage
2 grated baby carrots
1 small onion, thinly sliced long
1/2 c long sliced bell peppers, thin
Very light sprinkle of salt (tell you why later)

Turn heat on high and add the above. Move around your pan to prevent sticking and take off of heat in 2-3 minutes. You want your veggies crunchy not mushy.

1 cup cooked Mung Bean Noodles

Add your noodles.

Here is the tricky part, I forgot to measure. (LIAR!!) Okay fine. I was so hungry - I didn't want to waste my time with measuring spoons! Happy?! So from mind guesstimates.....

1 TS mushroom soy sauce (I use Chings but this has good reviews, Pearl River Mushroom Soy
1/2 TS Black Bean Paste
1/2 Ts Huey Fong Sambal Oelek Chili Paste
1 TS sushi vinegar
1/2 Ts Sesame Seeds

Combine all of the above. (If you cannot get any of these items at your local grocery store, I will try to link to what brands I use, or the next best.) Add a Teaspoon of water to dilute. Then add this mix into your noodles, stir it up fast. Your cabbage is not fully cooked and I do not want it to suck up the soy. If you need more flavoring, just mix up some in a small bowl and add to your noodles as you need it. Sometimes people like more or less soy, more heat, etc. I have tried my best from my memory. Oh and add more salt at the end if you need it, or you can just add soy as it is plenty salty.

Additions::
-I should not call this an addition as I would have added it had I had it, Green Onions Chopped, add with the veggies.
-You could add some bean sprouts.
-Some tofu.
-Some chopped baby corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment